We want to provide an update re: the fire that happened in the Main Building of the Royal College headquarters (774 Echo Drive), including information about building access, cleanup efforts and impact to services.
- We continue to encourage everyone who can work remotely to do so; the main building is closed for the rest of the week while the restoration work is underway.
- If you need enter the 3rd, 4th or 5th floors to retrieve an item or file only (not to work), access is possible with your employee badge.
- Access to the 1st and 2nd floors of the Main Building (774 Echo) is fully restricted to staff and contractors working on cleaning/restoration. If you need to retrieve an item from either of these floors, please contact Building Services.
- We continue to encourage employees to work remotely; if you need to come onsite – please speak with your supervisor first. If a remote work option is not possible, a limited number of workspaces are available at the Annex.
- Cleanup efforts are still underway, with many pieces of equipment on site drying out the areas impacted by the water damage caused by the sprinkler system. We anticipate these efforts will take several weeks, if not longer.
- Impacted areas include: parts of the basement, the 1st floor (including Service Desk area and the Archives), and the 2nd floor. There is also damage to the audiovisual equipment and some of the IT racks behind meeting rooms 252 and 257.
Impact to services:
- Service Desk efforts are focused on restoring equipment, and as a result, limited support will be available over the next few days.
- To support the delivery of exams, one onsite Service Desk resource has been assigned to support the examination delivery this week.
- In-person meetings will not be able to proceed in the Council room, Roddick room and all other meeting rooms on the 1st or 2nd floors until further notice
- Staff who booked meetings on these floors over the next two weeks are encouraged to move to virtual delivery.
- EMHS will reach out to meeting organizers for the two committee meetings scheduled in the next two weeks to discuss delivery options. Communications will also support staff who may need to rebook meetings with Fellows with key messages
We will be sending an update on building access at the end of this week (Friday) on our cleaning progress and next steps. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.
We know many of you have further questions and we are committed to keeping you informed as we learn more.